How do I set up an appointment with Cal Med 421 San Diego?
Click here to contact us by email or call our appointment line at (619) 222-3839

Do I need to be referred to Cal Med 421 by another physician?
No. Cal Med 421 can evaluate anyone who feels that they can benefit from Medical Marijuana.

Do I have to pay the fee if I do not receive a recommendation?
No, your fee will be returned to you if you do not receive a recommendation.

Will my name be on a state or federal list if I get a medical marijuana recommendation?
Absolutely not! Your privacy is utmost importance. We follow HIPAA guidelines to ensure patient privacy. If you choose to apply for the MMIC program, which is voluntary in California, then your privacy status would change.

Can you explain the process involved with trying to qualify for a recommendation?
When you arrive at our office you will be asked to fill out a medical history form, along with some other documents and disclosures. You must provide a valid state-issued CA ID or Driver’s License prior to your evaluation, along with your medical records. You will then meet with our physician who will evaluate you for the recommendation. If you qualify you will receive your original certificate, signed and sealed, at the end of your appointment. State issued cards can be voluntary obtained from the Department of Health Services in your county, however first you will need to be evaluated by the physician and qualify for a recommendation.

What medical documentation should I bring?
It is important for you to bring any medical documentation (from previous physician visits, ER visits, chiropractor visits, etc.) that supports your diagnosis. This includes: recent medical records, prescriptions, physician’s letter, chiropractor’s letter, x-rays, MRI’s or any other documentation that you think can help. Do you accept people on probation or parole? We do not routinely issue recommendations to people on probation or parole, but there are some exceptions.

How can I obtain my medical records?
Call your physician or the hospital where you were treated and tell them you want copies of your medical records. They will tell you the process and typically have you sign an authorization to fax to them. We can also assist you in retrieving your records when you come in for your evaluation.

What happens if I have never seen a physician but I know medical marijuana will help my condition?
You can still be evaluated at Cal Med 421. Our experienced physicians will do a “good faith” evaluation and may issue a temporary recommendation. This temporary recommendation will be issued with a condition that you must return to our office for a follow-up visit within 3 months, and usually involves a required visit to a Primary Care Physician. We can help you to find one if you do not have one already.

What happens if I’ve lost or cannot retrieve my records or documentation?
You can still be evaluated at Cal Med 421. Our experienced office staff will help you in tracing and retrieving your medical records. However, in the meantime our physician may offer you a temporary recommendation with a condition that you must return to our office for a follow-up visit within 3 months and by this time, our office needs to have received the records.

Do I have to pay twice if I only receive a temporary recommendation?
No, you don’t need to pay twice. When you are able to provide our office either the proper documentation and/or medical records we’ll extend your recommendation to be valid for the year.

Do I have to be 18?
Yes. You must be at least 18 to be seen in our office.

If I become a medical marijuana patient, where do I obtain marijuana?
Cal Med 421 cannot help you purchase medical marijuana nor recommend any association, collective or cooperative. There are numerous organizations, websites, and publications that can help you. Qualified patients and primary caregivers may also cultivate marijuana for medical purposes. Thus, you may elect to grow your own medicine.

What exactly do I get if I receive a recommendation from Cal Med 421?
You will get an original and a copy of the physician’s recommendation. If you choose, you can purchase an extra copy or a wallet sized version of the certificate for an additional fee.

How long will the recommendation last?
Recommendations are for one year, unless you are issued a temporary recommendation for lack of records. We advise you to make an appointment before the expiration date so that you can be re-evaluated and obtain a renewal of your physician recommendation.

Does Cal Med 421 accept other physicians’ recommendations for renewals?
Yes. Cal Med 421 accepts renewals from any licensed physician in California, however, new patient process and new patient charges may apply.